THE DEPARTMENT of Transport will launch the October Transport Month (OTM) campaign on 1 October.
Themed “Together we move South Africa forward”, OTM is held annually to focus on infrastructure projects with major socio-economic spin-offs in the modes of transport such as road, aviation, maritime, rail and public transport.
Key projects will include the official opening of road infrastructure developments such as the R71 Moria Project (interchange safety improvement), Umgeni Interchange and the Denneysville Sasolburg Road in the Free State by the South African National Roads Agency Limited, in collaboration with provincial departments of roads and transport.
Addressing the media in Pretoria, on Saturday, Minister in the Presidency responsible for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Jeff Radebe, said the OTM will also be used to heighten the 365-Days Road Safety campaign which is led by the Department of Transport and implemented together with transport entities with a road safety mandate and private sector and non-profit organisations.
Minister Radebe said during Transport Month, the Road Traffic Management Corporation will introduce 24-hour working shifts for traffic officers to curb road carnages.
“Government has also developed a qualification for traffic officers from National Qualifications Framework (NQF) 4 to NQF 6 in order to further professionalise the traffic fraternity,” he said.
He said the Road Accident Fund (RAF), which will continue to provide post-crash care and related support to road-accident victims and affected families, will also reach out to communities through the RAF-on-the-road campaign.
- Dachser South Africa perfects the art of picking and packing
- VWSA employees join hands for hunger relief
- Isuzu Supports Drought Relief in Makhanda
- Customer-centricity hits the tyre industry
- Thomsons Towing built on the back of Tata Trucks
- Truck drivers test new digital vehicle systems in mobile simulator
- WABCO Introduces New Fleet Solutions Business
- Your FREE Issue: Truck & Bus Magazine – June
- Hyva expands EDGE Line
- Peace-of-mind offer from FUSO