THE DEPARTMENT of Transport will launch the October Transport Month (OTM) campaign on 1 October.
Themed “Together we move South Africa forward”, OTM is held annually to focus on infrastructure projects with major socio-economic spin-offs in the modes of transport such as road, aviation, maritime, rail and public transport.
Key projects will include the official opening of road infrastructure developments such as the R71 Moria Project (interchange safety improvement), Umgeni Interchange and the Denneysville Sasolburg Road in the Free State by the South African National Roads Agency Limited, in collaboration with provincial departments of roads and transport.
Addressing the media in Pretoria, on Saturday, Minister in the Presidency responsible for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Jeff Radebe, said the OTM will also be used to heighten the 365-Days Road Safety campaign which is led by the Department of Transport and implemented together with transport entities with a road safety mandate and private sector and non-profit organisations.
Minister Radebe said during Transport Month, the Road Traffic Management Corporation will introduce 24-hour working shifts for traffic officers to curb road carnages.
“Government has also developed a qualification for traffic officers from National Qualifications Framework (NQF) 4 to NQF 6 in order to further professionalise the traffic fraternity,” he said.
He said the Road Accident Fund (RAF), which will continue to provide post-crash care and related support to road-accident victims and affected families, will also reach out to communities through the RAF-on-the-road campaign.
- New Actros: Sideguard Assist and MirrorCam provide for greater safety
- Electrically retrofitted lorry for municipal waste management
- New Volvo FH with I-Save cuts fuel costs by up to 7%
- Trendsetting touring coaches: safety and innovative services
- Scania pioneers full length autonomous buses in Sweden
- Isuzu Supports Drought Relief in Makhanda
- Shedding Weight on Refrigerated Trailers
- SHELLY BEACH WINS HINO DOTY FOR SECOND YEAR
- 2018/2019 CILTSA Candidacy Programme for Women
- Bidvest Panalpina Logistics scoops prestigious PMR Diamond award