The Department of Transport has published the 24th amendment to the National Road Traffic Regulations in Gazette No. 40420 of 11 November 2016.
There are only 2 amendments:
* Regulation 250 is amended to specifically state that school children may not be transported for reward in the goods compartment of a vehicle. Other persons may also not be transported in the goods compartment for reward unless it is done in terms of the NLTA – Implementation date 6 months from 11/11/2016 (11/5/2017)
* Regulation 293: Goods vehicles with a GVM of more than 3 500 kg up to 9 000 kg are now limited to a maximum speed of 100 km/h – Implementation date – 11/11/2016. The maximum general speed limit of 120 km/h was applicable to the vehicles up to 11/11/2016.
Note the provisions on speed governors that will come into force on 1 December 2016 (Reg 215, as published in GG 38142 on 31 Oct 2014).
Reg 215. (1) No person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle which is designed for or capable of reaching a speed of 60 kilometres per hour or more on a reasonably level road, unless such vehicle is equipped with a speedometer which is in a good working order.
(1A) No person shall operate a–
(c) bus, or
(d) goods vehicle the gross vehicle mass of which exceeds 3 500 kilograms,
first registered after 1 December 2016, unless such minibus, midibus, bus or goods vehicle is fitted with a speed governor, restricting the speed of such motor vehicle to the speed limits as contemplated in regulation 293.
Alta Swanepoel and Associates will host its Annual Road Transport Legislation Workshop in 2017, with registration opening on 1 February: 23 May, Stellenbosch (Spier); 25 May, Durban (Garden Court, Marine Parade/ OR Tambo Parade); 8 June, Pretoria (CSIR).
- Dachser South Africa perfects the art of picking and packing
- VWSA employees join hands for hunger relief
- Isuzu Supports Drought Relief in Makhanda
- Customer-centricity hits the tyre industry
- Thomsons Towing built on the back of Tata Trucks
- Truck drivers test new digital vehicle systems in mobile simulator
- WABCO Introduces New Fleet Solutions Business
- Your FREE Issue: Truck & Bus Magazine – June
- Hyva expands EDGE Line
- Peace-of-mind offer from FUSO