Mercedes-Benz Trucks continues its product offensive by launching the eagerly anticipated new Arocs for Distribution and the new Arocs for Construction in South Africa.
- Application matched Vehicle Configurations – With a new name, independent design and technology matched to its application, the Arocs overcomes the challenges of day-to-day operation with great proficiency on the road and on the construction site. In both applications, the new Mercedes-Benz model series impress not only with a comfortable driver workplace, but also with fuel saving, efficient drivetrain and engine technology and attractive service offers which can increase the overall cost-effectiveness further.
- Mercedes-Benz Arocs for Distribution: Stands for Reliability, Efficiency and Safety in Distribution Transport – Arocs for Distribution vehicles are optimised for efficiency and safety with features such as direct-drive transmissions, hypoid axles and optimised aerodynamics. For greater safety and for the first time in the distribution segment, LANE ASSIST, ATTENTION ASSIST and driver airbag are standard on all Arocs for Distribution models. As safety is part of Mercedes-Benz’s DNA, ABS and ASR are standard across the range on all new Arocs models.
- Mercedes-Benz Arocs for Construction: Stands for Reliability, Robustness and Body Builder Friendliness in Construction Transport – Arocs for Construction Vehicles are designed to be particularly tough and robust to meet any challenge in construction transport from robust steel suspension to planetary axles for off-road variants. The basis for the robustness of the Arocs is provided by the extremely strong frame consisting of cold-worked, high-strength fine-grained steel, additionally, the modular layout of the chassis also allows for easier body mounting.
- Mercedes Powershift 3 – The Arocs for Distribution and Construction will also be setting an example with their drive system: the engine’s power will be transmitted by the Mercedes PowerShift 3 automated transmission, fitted as a standard. Drive programmes are available which have been specifically developed for the vehicle’s varied range of applications.
- New Engine Generation – At the heart of the new Arocs, is the new OM460 Euro III 12.8 litre inline 6-cylinder engine which already does duty in the new Actros. The OM460 engine has been developed on the basis of tried and tested technology and features robust components.
- FleetBoard Eco Support – Fleetboard Eco Support provides effective driver support in real time by displaying tips on a consumption-reducing driving style in the instrument cluster during the journey. Fleetboard Eco Support is standard on all new Arocs models.
- Flexible service intervals – Ensures that the maximum value is utilised out of all service components leading to less wastage and lower maintenance costs, resulting in lower maintenance rates and extended service intervals.
Pretoria/South-Africa — In 2019 Mercedes-Benz Trucks is continuing its product offensive of launching a new range of commercial vehicles in Southern Africa. The new specialist for distribution and construction transport is following on the heels of the new Actros truck tractors for long-distance transport. From 2019 on all rigid trucks used for on and off-road applications in the distribution and construction sector will be known under the name Arocs.
The all-new Arocs is Mercedes-Benz Trucks’ second “A” range vehicle and these vehicles clearly deserve a “double A” rating. The first was the new Actros for long-haul transport, followed now by the new Arocs for distribution and construction transport.
This product strategy allows Mercedes-Benz Trucks to precisely match the interests of today’s customers. All-purpose vehicles are increasingly becoming a thing of the past, that’s why the new range of Mercedes-Benz trucks uses a common platform to develop custom-tailored vehicle series for specific segments.
New Mercedes-Benz Arocs for Distribution – Reliability, Efficiency and Safety
Two Arocs for Distribution vehicles will be launched in the first phase: The Arocs 2636L/57 6×2 and the Arocs 3345/48. Two distribution oriented cab variants are initially available, the M-Cab and L-Cab ClassicSpace.
The comfortable ClassicSpace Cab is designed fully for the needs and comfort of the driver in solo operation in distribution and national long-distance applications. It is designed on the basis of state-of-the-art ergonomic and safety criteria and offers generous interior and storage space. The cab also features the newly developed seat concept with seats that have wider seat cushions. The functional colour concept of the interior design in flannel grey and greige enhances the feeling of well-being.
The powerful, yet efficient 12.8 litre OM460 Euro III engine is initially available in two engine outputs of 265kW (360hp) & 330kW (450hp) respectively. The OM460 engine has been developed on the basis of tried and tested technology and robust components.
The new inline 6-cylinder engine configuration with exhaust gas turbocharger and unit pump line injectors obtains high torque at low engine speeds and across a wider engine speed range contributing to much improved driving characteristics and a significant increase in fuel efficiency.
The Arocs 2636L/57 is a city and regional distribution vehicle that is optimised for efficiency, featuring a direct drive PowerShift 3 fully automated transmission and hypoid axles. Side cab air deflectors ensure aerodynamic efficiency by reducing wind turbulence between cab and body.
The Arocs 3345/48 is a versatile distribution vehicle with increased ground clearance, steel bumpers and swivel steps for on and off-highway distribution applications.
In order to meet all the given high requirements regarding durability and reliability, all components of the powertrain on the new Arocs are produced exclusively by Mercedes-Benz and are thus ideally coordinated. The trucks’ total cost of ownership is further optimised by longer maintenance intervals and long service lives for the engine, transmission, and clutch.
The Arocs for distribution range is further equipped with a comprehensive range of standard safety equipment. Driver airbag, LANE ASSIST and ATTENTION ASSIST are standard equipment and a first for the distribution segment.
ATTENTION ASSIST is a system that monitors the attention paid by the driver on the basis of various parameters. It is based on the LANE ASSIST system. The attention paid by the driver is measured on the basis of the driver staying within a lane in combination with other steering behaviours.
The lane monitoring function continuously detects the position of the vehicle between the lane markings. ATTENTION ASSIST works on the assumption that the ability of the driver to reliably keep the vehicle within a lane decreases with reduced attention.
A “monotony value” is calculated on the basis of the driver activities. This assumes that the attention paid by the driver falls due to the monotony of the driving situation with increasing journey time. If the driver exhibits active driving behaviour, e.g. by operating the direction indicators/accelerator/engine brake/retarder, this has a positive effect on the “monotony value”.
If the limit values for attention stored in the system are reached after a defined driving distance, the driver is warned by a visual signal (yellow pop-up with stylised bed symbol and a message “Please take a break”) and a short audible signal on the instrument cluster. The pop-up menu is displayed until the driver acknowledges the warning with the OK button or deactivates ATTENTION ASSIST. The warning is repeated every 15 min.
After the first warning, ATTENTION ASSIST automatically activates the LANE ASSIST function. The system is a pure assistance system and does not intervene actively in driving operation.
ATTENTION ASSIST has the ability to increase driving safety and helps to avoid accidents by warning the driver if fatigue or lack of attention are detected while also assisting the driver in assessing his levels of fatigue.
The new Arocs for Distribution comes standard with a 1 year/unlimited kilometre complete vehicle warranty and a 5 year/650,000km standard warranty on the powertrain.
New Mercedes-Benz Arocs for Construction – Reliability, Robustness and Bodybuilder Friendliness.
Two Arocs for Construction vehicles will initially be launched. The Arocs 3336K/36 Tipper Chassis and the Arocs 3236B/51 8×4 Mixer Chassis. Initially one cab variant will be available. The S-Cab ClassicSpace.
The comfortable ClassicSpace S-Cab is designed fully for the needs and comfort of the driver in solo operation in short-haul applications. It is designed on the basis of state-of-the-art ergonomic and safety criteria. It also maximises the space available for body installation behind the cab. The cab also features the newly-developed seat concept with seats that have wider seat cushions. The functional colour concept of the interior design in flannel grey and greige enhances the feeling of well-being.
At launch only the 265kW (360hp) 12.8 litre OM460 Euro III engine will be initially available with further engine outputs planned for later. For the first time in a construction vehicle the engine output is transferred as standard by an automated Mercedes PowerShift 3 transmission.
Drive programmes are available which have been specifically developed for the vehicle’s varied range of applications. For construction vehicles the “Off-Road Drive” programme is standard.
Off-road drive mode offers the driving set-ups Standard, Economy, Off-road and Manual. It is optimised for the special requirements of construction-site traffic. It supports economic driving styles just as much as improved handling when pulling away or manoeuvring on building sites or when driving slowly along challenging terrain.
On gravel roads or off-road the above-mentioned drive modes offer ideal performance in the respective situation in terms of dynamism when pulling away under high loads, gearshift points and shift dynamics.
The Arocs 3236B/51 is an 8×4 concrete mixer with 35 ton Gross Vehicle Weight that consistently makes the most of every possibility of reducing its own kerb weight. It features a weight optimised hypoid rear axle, light-weight aluminium fuel tank, disc brakes and aluminium rims to reduce kerb weight and increase payload. This enables the 8×4 mixer chassis to supply 8m3 of ready-mixed concrete on every trip.
The Arocs 3336K/36 is a versatile tipper chassis with a short rear overhang featuring robust planetary axles, a double disc clutch, robust drum brakes, optimised for off-road use and a 16-speed Powershift 3 automated transmission with the “Off-Road Drive” programme as standard.
The application specific mounting elements provide for a bodybuilder friendly and fast mounting process. For all freight carriers the platform mounting brackets are standard, all mixer chassis are standard with the mixer mounting brackets and all tipper chassis come standard with the tipper mounting brackets, together with the modular bolted frame, the 50 mm chassis hole pattern and the new generation Parameterisable Special Module (PSM) the turnaround time at a bodybuilder is significantly reduced.
The new Arocs for Construction comes standard with a 1 year/unlimited kilometre complete vehicle warranty and a 3 year/250,000km/5000 hours standard warranty on the powertrain.