THE GAUTENG province will hold October Transport Month under the theme Together, Moving the Gauteng City- Region Forward’.
Also as part of the activities for the month, the Eco-Mobility World Festival will be opened on Sunday.
“To demonstrate to the world that an eco-mobile future is possible and that public transport can be accessible, safe and attractive, Johannesburg will give public transport operators, cyclists and pedestrians, preference on the streets of Sandton,” says MEC Gauteng Transport and Roads MEC Ismail Vadi.
The provincial Department for Transport and Roads will on 13 October host a Public Transport Race and on 15 October the department will be doing a sod turning for Phase 2 of the William Nicol road construction project.
The department will also participate at the All-Africa Public Transport Conference which will be held from 20 to 22 October in Cape Town.
“On 22 October we will launch a construction project to build a new Driver License Testing Centre in Sebokeng and on 26 October we will officially open the R25,” he said.
A family fun walk which is aimed at promoting walking will be held on 28 October in the Randfontein CBD.
As part of promoting public transport and ensuring continuity of services to commuters in Mamelodi, Midvaal, Kathlehong and Vosloorus, the department has extended the eight temporary contracts that it had signed with bus operator Autopax in June this year.
The contracts will now expire on 31 March 2016.
“We urge our people to take seriously the messages of the benefits of public transport, road safety and eco-mobility.
“It’s about our future and that of our children and grandchildren. We must consciously strive to build a reliable, safe, affordable, accessible and environmentally sustainable transport system for the benefit of all,” he said.
- Trendsetting touring coaches: safety and innovative services
- Scania pioneers full length autonomous buses in Sweden
- Isuzu Supports Drought Relief in Makhanda
- Shedding Weight on Refrigerated Trailers
- SHELLY BEACH WINS HINO DOTY FOR SECOND YEAR
- 2018/2019 CILTSA Candidacy Programme for Women
- Bidvest Panalpina Logistics scoops prestigious PMR Diamond award
- BPW running gear computer with integrated weighing system
- Truck & Bus Magazine – Your February Issue
- Engen celebrates women truck drivers