Glenwood Boys High School in Durban recently took delivery of three Iveco Daily 26-seater buses from local agent KZN Iveco at a handover ceremony at the school.
Acting principal Andri Barnes says, “Considering how much the buses cost to purchase, as well as the effort by the School Governing Body in selecting the kind of buses to purchase, it makes sense that these vehicles must be in service as long as possible. The original buses were also Iveco, purchased in 2000, so with new technology in the current three units we should see an increase in the replacement period.”
The school’s buses are always in high demand and continuously on the road. Each bus has a dedicated, trained driver whose responsibility is the overall condition of the bus. The excellent relationship that each driver has with the pupils ensures that housekeeping rules on board are well maintained. Driver training is conducted on a regular basis to ensure consistency.
The buses have a dual function, transporting pupils from Amanzimtoti, Hillcrest and Durban North to and from school every day, as well ferrying sports teams to and from various venues.
School Governing Body (SGB) chairman Rob Young says, “We were fortunate to have long-standing tour operator Craig Drysdale on the SGB, who picked up the ball with this project and was able to advise us on the various aspects of this purchase, ensuring that the correct formalities were in place, as this was a major expenditure item for the school.
“Three major bus suppliers were contacted. The financial package we obtained from Iveco, taking into account the trade-in of the old units, provided the final outcome. KZN Iveco must be commended for its excellent overall service in preparing the vehicles with full school livery, culminating in the handover ceremony.”
Barnes concludes, “The safety of the pupils was one of the main reasons for taking this route in purchasing new vehicles. We are in full control of our transport, without having to rely on contractors, and especially the maintenance aspect which will be entirely in the hands of the dealer.”
- One million world engines for Daimler Trucks
- HINO REWARDS SA DEALER STAFF WITH EDUCATIONAL VISIT TO JAPAN
- IVECO BUS wins Public Transport Innovation Award
- Frost & Sullivan names TomTom Telematics as ‘Fleet Telematics Company of the Year’
- The Volvo FH 25 Year Special Edition — a tribute to an icon
- Iveco SA hosts African Mayors
- Mercedes-Benz Trucks to invest about €50m in expansion of Development and Test Centre
- Knorr-Bremse TruckServices at the FIA European Truck Race
- BRISTOL BUYS 21 SCANIA BIOGAS BUSES
- DAF named International Truck of the Year 2018