THE COUNTRY’S seasonally adjusted real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) at market prices has increased by an annualised rate of 0.7% in the third quarter of 2015.
The increase comes after the GDP contracted by 1.3% during the second quarter of 2015, Statistics South Africa (Stats SA) said on Wednesday.
Michael Manamela, Stats SA’s Executive Manager for National Accounts, said the main contributors to the increase in economic activity in the third quarter of 2015 were the manufacturing industry (0.8%); the finance, real estate and business services (0.6%) and the wholesale, retail and motor trade, catering and accommodation (0.3%).
“Negative contributions were recorded by the mining and quarrying industry (-0.8%) and the agriculture, forestry and fishing industry (0.3%),” he said.
According to Stats SA, the seasonally adjusted annualised value added by the primary sector recorded a decrease of 10.4%, while the secondary and tertiary sectors recorded increases of 3.3% and 1.9% respectively during the third quarter of 2015.
The unadjusted real GDP at market prices for the third quarter of 2015 increased by 1% compared with the third quarter of 2014.
The estimate of GDP for the first nine months of 2015 increased by 1.5% compared with the corresponding period in 2014.
Stats SA to publish expenditure on GDP
Meanwhile, Stats SA has announced that as of June 2016, the responsibility for publishing expenditure on GDP will be shifted from the South African Reserve Bank to Stats SA.
“Stats SA had planned to publish fourth quarter (2015) expenditure on GDP in March 2016.
“However, to finalise processes and to ensure a smooth transition from the Reserve Bank to Stats SA, Stats SA’s first statistical release containing expenditure on GDP has been delayed by one quarter,” Stats SA said.
- Scania pioneers full length autonomous buses in Sweden
- Isuzu Supports Drought Relief in Makhanda
- Shedding Weight on Refrigerated Trailers
- SHELLY BEACH WINS HINO DOTY FOR SECOND YEAR
- 2018/2019 CILTSA Candidacy Programme for Women
- Bidvest Panalpina Logistics scoops prestigious PMR Diamond award
- BPW running gear computer with integrated weighing system
- Truck & Bus Magazine – Your February Issue
- Engen celebrates women truck drivers
- Goodyear & Local Motors Join Forces on Autonomous Shuttles