LONWABO Sila has dreamt of designing a car for the past seven years and on 12 August 2015 his dream became a reality.
As part of the Reach for a Dream initiative, the 17 year-old Sila spent a day at the Volkswagen Motorsport in Uitenhage to learn what being a car designer entails.
Johan Smit, Chief Designer: Volkswagen South Africa Motorsport took Lonwabo through a theory and practical session which included the process of designing a Volkswagen, computer simulations and the different design components of the car.
After a tour of the Volkswagen Motorsport facilities, Sila headed over to the AutoPavilion where he put to practical use what he had learnt from Motorsport’s Chief Designer.
“I have had a very interesting day but the best part about today was actually sitting with Johan Smit and learning about how one actually goes about designing a car,” said the Grade 11 Lady Grey Arts Academy student.
A hobby which started off with innocent drawings of cartoon characters blossomed into a detailed sketchbook with various drawings of cars and now Sila plans to study design after he finishes high school next year with hopes of one day being a professional car designer.
Sila also had the opportunity to be test-driven in the Engen Audi S4 Production race car when the racing driver, Simon Moss took him for a few speedy laps at the Aldo Scribante Race Track.
“We are very proud as Volkswagen that we have made yet another child’s dream come true and we are equally happy to partner with the Reach for a Dream Foundation in trying to inspire South Africa’s youth,” said Mike Rowe, Head of Volkswagen South Africa Motorsport.
The Reach for a Dream Foundation gives hope to South African children fighting life-threatening diseases through the fulfilment of their dreams.
- The N3 hell run is emblematic of a culture and policing failure
- Dachser South Africa perfects the art of picking and packing
- VWSA employees join hands for hunger relief
- Isuzu Supports Drought Relief in Makhanda
- Customer-centricity hits the tyre industry
- Thomsons Towing built on the back of Tata Trucks
- Truck drivers test new digital vehicle systems in mobile simulator
- WABCO Introduces New Fleet Solutions Business
- Your FREE Issue: Truck & Bus Magazine – June
- Hyva expands EDGE Line